Joey Votto delivered a two-run home run in a four-run top of the ninth inning that pushed the Reds ahead for an 12-9 win over the Brewers on a wild Saturday night at Miller Park.
Coming off his shortest start since May of 2013, Wily Peralta will look to bounce back on Sunday at Miller Park against the Cincinnati Reds.
Brewers pitching prospect Nathan Kirby is likely headed for Tommy John surgery, according to general manager Doug Melvin.
Brewers No. 3 prospect Trent Clark went 4-for-4 with three RBIs as Rookie Level Helena defeated Missoula, 8-2. The first-rounder is now 6-for-7 (.857) after receiving a promotion from the Arizona League. All six of his hits have been singles, which is on par with his work for the AZL Brewers.
A 5-0 win over the Reds was fueled by two members of the Brewers' youth movement. Domingo Santana introduced himself to the Miller Park faithful with a home run in his home debut, and Taylor Jungmann continued a first impression that began with his call-up in June.
Domingo Santana homered in his Miller Park debut and Taylor Jungmann delivered a quality start in the Brewers' 5-0 win over the Reds on Friday.
Reds right fielder Jay Bruce is badly in need of a good night at the plate while Brewers starter Matt Garza could equally welcome a positive game on the mound. Even based on small sample sizes, Saturday's meeting of the two teams at Miller Park could be to Bruce's benefit.
Hernan Perez was on the cover of the game day program distributed at Miller Park on Friday, but not on the field for the start of the game itself.
Corey Knebel has been making an impact in the Brewers bullpen in his first season with the team. We discuss that and more in today's What We Learned.
The Brewers had the day off.
Brewers News & Notes
- Trades have opened up opportunities at several positions for the Brewers as they finish this season and prepare for next season. Adam McCalvy of Brewers.com looks at some of the brewing position battles that the Brewers have going on right now.
- In his time with the team this year, Corey Knebel has proven that he can be a reliable bullpen pitcher for the Brewers. Ryan Romano of BP Milwaukee looks at the success that Knebel has had as a Brewer this year.
- Corey Knebel and Taylor Jungmann are former Texas stars who have been reunited on the Brewers this season. Tim Van Vooren of fox6now.com writes about the relationship these two have had from their college days & now as professionals.
- Cait Covers the Bases has details on the specials available at Miller Park for the current homestand: a cheese coney dog for the Reds series and a cheesesteak for the Pirates series.
Minor League Update
|Colorado Springs Sky Sox||AAA||56-76||Albuquerque 3, Colorado Springs 1||
Friday: Colorado Springs @ Albuquerque
Saturday: Colorado Springs @ Albuquerque
Sunday: Colorado Springs @ Albuquerque
|Biloxi Shuckers||AA||74-53||Biloxi 8, Mobile 1||
Friday: Biloxi @ Mississippi
Saturday: Biloxi @ Mississippi
Sunday: Biloxi @ Mississippi
|Brevard County Manatees||A+||54-72||Clearwater @ Brevard County (PPD)||
Friday: Clearwater @ Brevard County (DH)
Saturday: Clearwater @ Brevard County
Sunday: Lakeland @ Brevard County
|Wisconsin Timber Rattlers||A||47-82||Wisconsin 4, Beloit 2
Wisconsin 2, Beloit 1
Friday: Beloit @ Wisconsin
Saturday: Beloit @ Wisconsin
Sunday: Wisconsin @ Clinton
|Helena Brewers||R||26-37||Helena 7, Missoula 3||
Friday: Missoula @ Helena
Saturday: Billings @ Helena
Sunday: Billings @ Helena
|AZL Brewers||R||23-32||AZL Mariners 11, AZL Brewers 1||
Saturday: AZL Brewers @ AZL Indians
News & Notes
- Brett Phillips has been placed on the DL at Biloxi and Garrett Cooper has been transferred from Brevard County to Biloxi.
NL Central Update
Today's Division Games
- Cardinals @ Giants
Friday: Michael Wacha vs. Mike Leake - 9:15 pm
Saturday: Lance Lynn vs. Ryan Vogelsong - 3:05 pm
Sunday: Jaime Garcia vs. Chris Heston - 3:05 pm
- Rockies @ Pirates
Friday: Jon Gray vs. Francisco Liriano - 6:05 pm
Saturday: Chris Rusin vs. J.A. Happ - 6:05 pm
Sunday: Jorge De La Rosa vs. Charlie Morton - 12:35 pm
- Cubs @ Dodgers
Friday: Jason Hammel vs. Clayton Kershaw - 9:10 pm
Saturday: Jon Lester vs. Mat Latos - 8:10 pm
Sunday: Jake Arrieta vs. Alex Wood - 7:08 pm
- The Braves released RHP Jason Frasor.
- The Cubs acquired RHP Fernando Rodney from the Mariners for either a PTBNL or cash.
- The Mariners have relieved GM Jeff Zduriencik of duties as of this morning. Zduriencik had been GM of the Mariners since 2008 after spending several years as scouting director for the Brewers.
- The Nationals will place outfielder Denard Span on the 15-day DL with left hip inflammation.
- The Rays placed outfielder Desmond Jennnings on the 15-day DL with a bruised left knee and recalled outfielder Joey Buter.
This Weekend's Action
It's a battle for last place in the division as the Reds come to town for a three-game series. Here are the starting matchups for the weekend:
Friday: Raisel Iglesias vs. Taylor Jungmann - 7:10 pm
Saturday: Keyvius Sampson vs. Matt Garza - 6:10 pm
Sunday: John Lamb vs. Wily Peralta - 1:10 pm
Club officials have resisted using the word "rebuild," but it's clear that the Brewers are in the midst of an overhaul. Manager Craig Counsell's repeated advice to players: embrace the change.